Skip to Content

Get a FREE rental analysis of your property. Start here!

Get a FREE rental analysis of your property. Start here!

Fireplace Safety Tips for Mountain City Tenants

Warm and Cozy Fireplace in the Center of a Modern Living RoomA fireplace can be a desirable centerpiece in every single-family rental home in Mountain City. Nevertheless, fireplaces also cause various unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To cherish your fireplace and stay safe as well, you must follow to support the important fireplace safety rules.

The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is because of creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. After some time, wood-burning fires constitute a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Additional troubles like dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, and obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Such a condition is awfully risky for you and the home’s other residents too.

To avoid these and other problems, here are several important steps that you should follow. First, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can prompt showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to crack bricks, dissolve metal, and catch your attic, finish, and roof on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.

Then, make sure to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is critical to have an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Do not come near the fireplace when it’s lit and observe any pets alertly to evade injuries and disasters.

In conclusion, you must check with your property manager or landlord to make sure that the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. A valuable property manager will have a fireplace repaired routinely to make sure that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To be safe, it is pivotal to understand that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you comprehend how to handle your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, abiding by established fireplace safety is an indispensable element of keeping you and your belongings out of damage’s path.

Drained of executing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management Alamo a call? It doesn’t matter if you own a single rental home or a handful of them, our drive is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Advocated by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our bunch of Mountain City property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 210-600-5672 today.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.