The Christmas season is a time of year that brings families together with social gatherings, beautiful gifts, and twinkling lights. For many, seasonal decorations simply are not complete without a beautiful Christmas tree, filled with lights and ornaments. Boerne rental property owners know that their tenants are no different and that a Christmas tree may be an important part of their holiday celebrations.
While decorations are not always a problem, however, Christmas trees are unique due to their extremely flammable nature. When combined with electrical sparks or overheating cords, a dry Christmas tree can turn into a roaring house fire in less than a minute. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), home fires started by Christmas trees average 200 per year. Every year, these fires cause an average of $14.8 million in property damage, 16 injuries, and 6 deaths.
As the property owner, it is important to communicate basic fire safety tips to your renters before the holiday season arrives. While prohibiting Christmas trees altogether is likely not an option, there are some relatively easy things your tenants can do to protect themselves and your rental home from the risk of fire.
The American Christmas Tree Association (ACTA) offers a few safety precautions that can significantly reduce the risk of your tree catching fire. These precautions include:
- Buy a fresh (real) tree or an artificial tree. Fresh trees are safer due to their inherent fire resistance. Artificial trees are also much safer than real trees are due to the fact that they won’t dry out over time.
- Water your fresh tree consistently. Fresh trees must be watered regularly and removed immediately after the holiday or as soon as the needles begin to drop.
- Place your tree away from heat sources and open flames, such as fireplaces, candles and heat vents.
- Use safety-tested lights and throw out any damaged light sets.
- Turn off the Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving the home. Leaving the lights on all night or while away increases your risk of fire.
- Keep an up-to-date fire extinguisher nearby in the event that sparks or flames do appear.
Communicating these Christmas tree safety tips with your tenants in Boerne can protect your rental homes and help everyone enjoy a safe and peaceful holiday. With Real Property Management Alamo by your side, we can ensure that these safety precautions are shared with your renters and that all holiday decorations meet basic safety guidelines. For more information about our full-service property management services, please contact us online or call us at 210-600-5672.