Mold can be a complete annoyance and may even cause health problems. Unfortunately, it’s very common to find mold in the home. If your wallpaper is peeling, dark spots cover your walls, or you see yourself continuously coughing and sneezing you might have mold in your home.
Mildew vs Mold
Mildew is the most common type of mold found in the home. It is often located in humid and warm areas, such as the bathroom and laundry room. The difference between mildew and other types of mold is that mildew is only located on the surface of materials whereas other types of mold are in the pores of the materials, making other types of mold much more hazardous and destructive. Mildew is less likely to cause permanent damage to household objects because it’s only a surface mold while other types of mold can cause damage to wood and other materials in the home.
How to Prevent Mold
Be aware of the possibility of mold in your home and do everything you can to prevent it from forming. Some tips to reduce mold in your home is to turn the fan on in the bathroom for 15 minutes after you shower, have proper ventilation in your home, and monitor humidity indoors. Reduce humidity in your home to the best of your ability because mold is most likely to reside in humid areas.
How to Get Rid of Mold
Be sure to check if the mold is mildew before handling it yourself. Other types of mold are much more dangerous and can have a negative impact on your health. If the mold covers 10 or more square feet, you may have to call a professional. Small cases of mildew can often be dealt with by scrubbing mildew cleaner on it. Some cleaners that you could use are bleach or a vinegar mildew killing solution. When using bleach, be sure not to mix chemicals. Wear gloves and something to cover your mouth to protect yourself from exposure to the mold.
Mold can be a pain and can even cause health problems, especially for those who are allergic. When you spot signs of mold be sure you act quickly to minimize the time you and your family will be exposed to it. Be cautious and only get rid of mold yourself if it is mildew and covers a small area. If you live in the San Antonio area and have any questions, please contact Real Property Management Alamo at 210-787-3876.